GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Nov. 14, 2017 – Davenport University and the Greater Michigan Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC-GMC) have recently partnered to provide professional development opportunities and enhanced pathways to education for ABC-GMC members, their dependents, and students of ABC-GMC’s Greater Michigan Construction Academy.
The partnership provides a number of discounted learning opportunities, including:
- A 20-percent tuition discount for ABC-GMC members who enroll in business classes as non-degree students, enhancing knowledge and skill sets needed to increase effectiveness in their organizations.
- ABC-GMC members in management capacities can enroll in the Certified Manager (CM) program at a 20-percent discount. The CM program is an internationally recognized credential that focuses on management foundations, planning/organizing, and leading/controlling.
- ABC-GMC members also receive a 20-percent discount on all publicly-offered professional development programs through Davenport’s Institute for Professional Excellence. This provides members access to several learning and development opportunities important to running a business, including professional HR credentialing, leadership and management certificates, and one-day business skill courses.
- DU will work with ABC-GMC to develop and provide custom training for member businesses around leadership, management, and/or business skill topics, such as pre/post assessments, one-on-one coaching, and application-oriented learning sessions.
- DU also has extended a 20-percent discount to all dependents of employees of ABC-GMC member companies.
- Dual enrollment opportunities for Greater Michigan Construction Academy students could lead to additional education opportunities with Davenport University, reducing time to degree.
“Through this partnership with Davenport University, we aren’t just training better skilled tradespeople, we’re creating better people in the skilled trades,” said Jimmy Greene, CEO of ABC-GMC, which serves member companies in the Great Lakes Bay Region and throughout central Michigan.
“This partnership provides tailored opportunities to address needs of ABC Greater Michigan Chapter’s members and GMCA Students on many levels,” said Dan Rundhaug, Executive Director of IPEx. “It helps member employees advance as professionals through the knowledge they gain. Managers can grow in leadership roles through certification programs. And while many might not be interested in pursuing a degree for themselves, they have a strong desire for their dependents to attend college.”
About Davenport University & Institute of Professional Excellence
Founded in 1866, Davenport is a private, non-profit university serving nearly 8,000 students at campuses across Michigan and online. With tuition among the lowest of all private universities in the state, Davenport provides high academic quality, small class sizes, conveniently located campuses, faculty with real-world experience and more than 80 dynamic undergraduate and graduate programs addressing in-demand careers in business, technology, health professions and urban education. More information is available at davenport.edu.
About Associated Builders and Contractors & the Greater Michigan Chapter
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national association representing nearly 22,000 merit shop construction and construction-related firms in 70 chapters across the United States. ABC’s membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry. ABC is recognized as one of the leading organizations representing Free Enterprise and the U.S. merit shop construction industry.
The ABC Greater Michigan Chapter represents nearly 300 member companies who employ, train, and advance careers of local skilled tradesmen and women in their communities. For over 50 years, the ABC Greater Michigan Chapter and its member companies have been proudly building Michigan.